Tuesday, August 15, 2017

How to Treat Poison Ivy Naturally

How to Treat Poison Ivy Naturally

I've had my share of poison ivy, especially as a child. Even though my instances weren't that bad, it was still pretty irritating. As soon as I'd get my first itch, I'd put some calamine lotion on it. Though that's still one of my favorite natural remedies, I've learned that there's a lot more we can do to relieve the symptoms. Taking a whole body approach is essential. Yes, it's important to put things on the poison ivy to help relieve the itching--but there are things you can do internally as well--so here is my inside and outside approach.

Instructions

    1

    If you think you were exposed to poison ivy, a good first step is to take a shower right when you get home. Some say that if the irritants from the plant got on your skin, you can wash them off. However, this doesn't come without controversy. Some think that washing makes things worse.

    2

    Another good thing to do if you think you were exposed to poison ivy is to take some natural antihistamines. Vitamin C, green tea, and grape seed extract are three of my favorites. You can take all of them at the same time if you like--just follow the directions on the Vitamin C and grape seed packages. Drink several cups of green tea per day as well.

    3

    Calamine lotion is a natural remedy. If you have an outbreak of poison ivy, you can dab the lotion on with a cotton ball. If you want, you can put a little witch hazel extract on the poison ivy before you apply the calamine lotion.

    4

    Jewel Weed is a wild plant that is nature's antidote to poison ivy. In fact, it usually grows right by the poison ivy. Just get a good field guide so you can learn how to identify it. Then, you can crush it up and place it directly on the poison ivy. You may also be able to find an ointment or lotion that has jewel weed in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment